Classroom Rules and Expectations for Students
Dear Music Student: We're excited to have you joining us on this year's musical journey. To ensure a successful year, we ask that you read and abide by these classroom rules.
Be On Time
Please be in your assigned seat when the bell sounds. You should have your music and stand in front of you. Your instrument should be in its case on your right side. Tardies will be given to students who are not in their seats when the bell rings.
Bring the following materials to class every day:
- Instrument and accessories
- Music folder with all sheet music
- Required music books
- PENCIL (w/AN ERASER)
Be Respectful of your instructors and fellow students
Respect other students and their property by keeping your hands, feet and objects to yourself.
BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS
We expect all students to be kind and considerate. Therefore:
- DO NOT PLUCK OR PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENT OR SING WHILE YOUR TEACHER OR A STUDENT IS SPEAKING. Wait until you are specifically asked to do so.
- If you wish to speak or move from your seat at any time, raise your hand first and wait to be recognized.
- Music is a very participatory class. In order to maintain a safe and enjoyable class experience, profanity, name-calling or laughing at others' mistakes will not be tolerated.
- Practice rooms are designed for students who need a focused place to play their instrument. Do not enter the practice rooms without your teacher's permission.
The musical success of each student and the entire performing group depends on each student's daily participation and preparation. Therefore, attendance during the school day, at all performances and possible extra rehearsals is required. The dates for performances will be announced well in advance to enable the students and their families to plan ahead. Under no circumstances is attendance at these rehearsals or performances to be used as an excuse for incomplete academic work or absence from school the following day.
The only valid excuses for absence from a rehearsal or performance are illness, an unavoidable family conflict or time spent with another teacher. Notify your music teacher of any known absences from rehearsals and performances as soon as possible.
A signed note from a parent/guardian or teacher is required for any absence. Truancy at these activities is unacceptable.
Students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature and considerate manner as a participant or observer in a rehearsal or performance, either on or off campus. To do otherwise will be cause for immediate dismissal from that and possibly other future events.
Keep Things Neat and Orderly
In order to keep our environment looking neat and clean, eating, drinking and chewing gum is strictly prohibited. (Water in self-contained bottles is allowed.) All students are responsible for keeping the Music Rooms orderly. Put things back where you got them and keep your books and instrument in your designated storage space.
Keep a positive attitude! Keep trying! Be a team player! Be self-disciplined! When in doubt – ask questions!