Instruments, Supplies and Accessories for Students
Band Instrument Loan Procedure:
If students are entering into beginning band, students will be able to borrow school instruments. Tuba, Euphonium, and Bass Clarinet students will need to purchase a mouthpiece.
If students are entering into Intermediate, Junior, or Senior bands, students will need to rent from a store or purchase, unless you have special permission from Mr. Harshman. All Intermediate, Junior, and Senior students will need to purchase their own reeds/mouthpieces if they are using one of the below school instruments.
Exceptions case by case:
- French Horn
- Bass Clarinet
- Bari Sax
Band - Instrument Supplies:
- Flute – Cleaning rod and a thin cleaning cloth
- Clarinet – Swab and at least 4 number 2 1/2 reeds
- Saxophone – Swab, neck strap and at least 4 number 2 1/2 reeds
- Trumpet – 5 sized mouthpiece and valve oil
- Trombone – 5 sized mouthpiece, slide grease and water bottle
- Percussion – Size 7B or 5A sticks and a stick bag
Band - Music Books Needed:
- Beginning Band – Standard of Excellence book 1
- Intermediate Band – Standard of Excellence Books I & II and “I Recommend"
- Junior Band – Standard of Excellence Books II and “I Recommend”
- Senior Band – Standard of Excellence Book II & “I Recommend”
- Junior Jazz Bands I & II – Standard of Excellence Book I
Students will bring their own instrument or agree to use a school-owned instrument for the year. School instruments are limited; therefore instrument availability is open FIRST to students and families who are in need of assistance.
Orchestra - Instrument Requirements:
- Pegs that turn easily and hold tune
- Bridge that stands straight and curves to bow one string at a time
- Proper string height at nut and bridge
- Proper sound post placement
- Fine tuners that work on the tailpiece
- Good bow with horsehair and a screw that turns easily to tighten and loosen the horsehair
Orchestra - Instrument Accessory Requirements:
Strings (1 set)
- KUN shoulder rest (violins and violas)
- Cleaning cloth
Orchestra - Music Books Needed:
- Beginning Orchestra – String Basics, Book 1
- Intermediate Orchestra – String Basics, Book 2
- Junior Orchestra - String Basics, Book 3
Please keep all stringed instruments in a moderate temperature controlled environment. Wash your hands before playing any instrument. After playing your instrument, wipe off fingerprints and rosin dust with a soft cloth.
If something happens to your instrument, PLEASE INFORM YOUR TEACHER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, BEFORE THE START OF SCHOOL IF YOU CAN. It will allow your teacher time to inspect it before your music class.